Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day Twenty

So wow - 20 days into this thing...hard to believe how much life changes in the blink of an eye and how fast the days go by. A month ago Kam and I were considering moving to Montana, getting ready to head out on Amtrak to begin a new adventure. Start over and begin again. Now, Montana seems like a lifetime ago.
Now we have a new journey and new direction and new worries and new stresses to go along with all the rest. It can be overwhelming to think about, so I have found that I just have to take one thing at a time and worry about the next thing when its time comes. My mind wanders alot and I find that I can't remember things or see things that are right next to me(I yelled down the hall for Kasey last night and he was sitting on the other end of the couch). I'm glad I have this blog to get down my thoughts each night before I forget them.

I drove up to see Mom this morning. She is looking more pensive now, ready to go home. The days are running together to her. She said she really doesn't remember the first 3 or 4 days she was there. We played a card game for awhile and watched a movie(well I watched it while she slept) and we walked 4 laps...
Her nurse today was able to get her IV stopped during the days, so she only has to be hooked up to fluids at night while she sleeps now, as long as she continues to eat and drink...which is her biggest struggle right now. Nothing tastes good, smells good, sounds good - so getting her to order her food takes awhile. A dietitian came in today to go over what she has been eating and what they can do to help her eat more. Her protein and fat intake is too low and they won't let her go home until she can stabilize her weight, she's lost 10lbs so far. They are going to automatically send her snacks and diet supplements 2x a day, I think if its there she'll at least try to eat.
They say they'll have all the test results in tomorrow afternoon but the initial results "look good". No word on what that means for her continued treatment and stay in the hospital though.
Her hair is coming out now. Although she still looks like she's got most of it, if you run your fingers through it they come out covered in hair. I'm going shopping tomorrow to find her some more short sleeve, button down pj tops so she can quit wearing the hospital gowns, eww! At least she'll look cute in her hats and pj's. :0)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had success finding cute PJs for your mom! Hospital gowns have to be some of the least stylish clothing that was ever made! New PJs usually help one to feel a bit more cheery and 'normal.' Hope that is a positive result of the shopping trip :) Thinking of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete