Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Today's update

Well lets see what I know now...
Mom said she took her temp on Sunday night before bed and it was about 99.4 but she went to bed and slept all night. When she woke up in the morning she had the chills and a temp of 101something. They were over to the hospital a little after 6 and in ICU by 9. She said she didn't know where she was yesterday until they told her today.

Dad went to see her this morning and she was still in ICU. He didn't know a whole lot more than yesterday but she DOES have an infection and is on oxygen.
I called at 11:00 and she had been moved from ICU to another floor but I wasn't able to talk to the nurses as they were just getting her settled into her room and were busy. I was able to get off work at 4 and headed over to the hospital. I called on my way to get a room number and found out she had been moved again. Back to "our" wing in 2SW where she usually stays while in the hospital. She is a bit more stable now than yesterday. She was asleep when I got there but was able to sit and stay awake for the 45 minutes I was there.

I walked out about 5:15 and was talking with the nurse when Dad walked by me and headed to her room...So the nurses tell us that she has an infection and they think it is the same type she had last time and they are fighting it with the same meds. Her fever is still running pretty rampant, was up to 104.8 during the day today and is still up around 102.5 late this afternoon. She has received 4 units of blood and 1 unit of platelets. The nurse was waiting for a call back from Dr. Lee to see if they should give her another platelet tonight or wait until tomorrow morning. They did an EKG today but looks like it came back normal so that is good.
Her arm looks like hell. With the lack of platelets she bruises easily and they bruised the living crap out of her arm...it is about the worst bruise I've ever seen. I took a picture on my cell phone of it, it's really bad! I guess Dr. Lee got very upset about it and yelled at the nurses in ICU, good for her!
She'll be in the hospital probably for at least a week. They can't let her out until her fever is gone for at least 24 hours without meds, and they won't let her out until her WBC and neutrophils are up to safe levels again.
She is on oxygen and is having a hard time breathing and is on liquid potassium, saline and antibiotics. But all in all, I think she is doing ok. She seemed ok and I feel better having been able to go see her today.

Keep praying for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment