Monday, April 19, 2010

Lots of tests, lots of time...

Mom had a 9 o'clock appt again this morning for another round of blood tests. She was fully expecting that her numbers were up and she wouldn't need anything. WRONG! Her WBC is now 1.0 but her neutrophils are only at .5. Her platelets were 7 and she needs red blood too and her potassium is still low.

The doctor wanted her to get the platelets right away but said we could maybe wait on the red blood until Wednesday or Thursday. She has a doctors appt in Portland tomorrow so we couldn't do it tomorrow. Mom and I both really didn't want to see her go backwards since she is feeling pretty well, so we asked if it could be done today too...so she's back in the hospital right now getting her first of three units of red blood.

We sat in the infusion room for about 2 1/2 hrs waiting on blood tests and for the blood bank to say if they have the platelets and blood to give her. I finally gave up and left her there and went to her house to get some cleaning done. She was able to get the platelets in the infusion room and was done with them about 1. She called to say she was headed over to the hospital to be admitted for the rest of the day. I finished up at her house and headed back over to Corvallis...they finally brought in the red blood about 3:45 and we are hoping she'll be done with all 3 units around 11 tonight. I'm going to go back over there around 9 to hang out with her until she can leave. We didn't want her to stay overnight in the hospital because we need to leave for Portland about 9:30 in the morning and there is NO WAY you can count on the hospital to do things in a timely manner.

As I sat there with her today and as I left her so I could get something else done I kept thinking about my situation...I've been free to do whatever needs to happen with Mom. I WANT to continue to do this. It is a burden to ask others to go to these appts, it isn't like asking someone to go to a doctor's appt, you never know what is going to happen...sometimes we're done in an hour, sometimes it's an all day thing...and it can be scary too when things don't go as we thought.
But eventually a job will come my way and I'll have no choice but to take it. It's so hard to look ahead, each day is different and unexpected and I cannot imagine how it will look when I'm trying to hold down a full time job too. So for now, we'll take each day as they come - I'm doing that in many, many aspects of life right now, planning for the future just doesn't seem possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment